Christmas on the Hill

Last night, sitting in a dorm room with a group of my friends, we spoke about what this time of year is like at college.  It is the first week of December, and the Christmas spirit is evident around campus- but so is the increasing stress that comes along with our impending finals week.  For all of us before we came to college, the holidays were a time to spend with family at home, participating in traditions and preparing for whatever it is we celebrate.  Now that we don’t live at home, this is much harder to do, especially with this newfound academic pressure.

Despite this weird situation, this year’s holiday season is already shaping up to be one of the best I’ve ever had.  I have shared so many special, festive moments with my friends, whether they’re as short and silly as taking a study break just to listen to Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You or as long and meaningful as attending Lessons and Carols or the Christmas tree lighting, which we all plan on doing together.  To all my fellow student readers, make sure to spend time with the family you have here at Holy Cross during this holiday season before you go home- it brings you closer as a group (and relieves the stress of finals!).  To all of my readers outside the student community, I encourage you to join our Holy Cross family’s celebration of the season  in any way you can, and I wish you the happiest of holidays!